Monday, August 26, 2013

T stands for Sun Tea

You don't need sun to make sun tea, as I learned a few years ago. But of course, it helps.
I call this my "not for human consumption" tea, because I use it for art only.

After taking a few photos, I realized there was something in my garden I had not seen before. I've had online conversations/comments with friends that the camera picks up things we don't see, sometimes until it's too late to edit it out. Add to that a busy background, and it makes it hard to see anything but "noise." 
Upon closer inspection, the roses are still overshadowed by that red pick-up in the background.  And obviously, this puny camera I'm using doesn't distinguish the foreground from the background.  Of course, you can see the neighbor's butchered tree and remaining stump in the background with NO PROBLEM.
 This photo isn't a whole lot better, but at least you can see how the roses and all the other greenery have leaned toward the sunny side of the yard.  They look more bent over than someone's 90 year old father!  However, I count at least two buds that look like they might bloom in a day or two.  And I might add, my front garden has never, ever looked so overgrown and tall until this year.  Nothing has ever reached above the bed head and foot boards before, except the rose bush, of course.

Back on my porch, 
I couldn't be outdone by Julia, who showed Mr. Dunnit's gorgeous handmade rocker last week.  Actually, I was outdone.  OK, this rocker was handmade, but it's a far cry from the one hand carved by Mr. D.  Still, I wanted to show it off, because it has lived on my front porch since I bought this place the year I started grad school.

Now it's time to hear your Tale (or Tail as the case may be) for this week's T Stands For Tuesday.  Please link your tale below.


27 thoughtful remarks:

Bridget Larsen said...

Love your front porch, reminds me of wonderful story books I read when I was young with a rocker on the front porch
Bridget #1

Denise Price said...

Thanks for sharing these views of your garden. The flowers and chair are lovely.

I have a cookie recipe and some embroidery notes on my blog this week.

voodoo vixen said...

Your garden must be appreciating all that extra rain it has enjoyed (LOL) this year as it looks lush and green!
Your rocking horse on the front porch is lovely, why have I never seen it before?

dawn said...

I love that you post on Monday nights, perfect for me to read and enjoy before bed.

What pretty flowers and porch you have. I have never had a porch but want one so much. Hope the heat wasn't too bad today for taking these for us. Can't wait to see what you make with your suntea, I have to try this soon.
So fun to see all the rocking horses with your posts.

Thanks for the lovely comment on my mandala today. I laughed that we both shared our shortness and chairs today, great minds think alike. My kids think it's funny when I'm up there and tease me especially since I'm afraid of heights.
I'm doing my T time post a bit late tomorrow, need a certain picture for it. Take care!

~*~Patty S said...

I thought you were going to say your teapot was about to fall off the edge on your nice front porch...

my latest post of stamps I carved and supplies showed a BUG that probably fell from our skylight above but I did not notice until the photo was on my computer screen LOL

Your roses look beautiful and those Naked Ladies are still going strong!

I sat out a mandala and tea post this week...just because

Happy T Day to you E
oxo

~*~Patty S said...

Elizabeth all thanks to you my homemade gelli plate will be one year old next month...yup still using it and boy am I getting a lot of mileage out of it...can't thank you enough for the boiling tip!
The one I bought two Decembers ago is still unopened and among the missing :(
The BIG erasers I am using are from the $ store and they measure about 5x2 inches which is really BIG and they carve really nicely too...
oxo

Nan G said...

LovelY front garden! What truck? Is that a truck? A splotch of red was all I saw...too busy admiring the roses and those delicate pink flowers below. Absolutely love your rocker!

Marianne said...

This summer has been a tough one garden-wise. Everything is overgrown. By the time I weed the west side of the house the east side is overgrown again. so round and round the house I go chasing weeds.
Thanks for hosting this link up every week. I has helped me focus on posting. I have to admit my post this week is short and sweet. But I didn't want to skip the day.
Love the Rocking Horse ! I have never seen anything like that !

Annie said...

I love your porch rocker....I've never seen that one before....it's gorgeous.
Happy Tuesday....will link in later.
Hugs,
A x

roffeycreations said...

Hi Elizabeth - such beautiful flowers - your comment that the camera picks up what the eye cant see reminded me of something - I mention it in my post - your roses smell so much better though I don't doubt LOL... Have a great week... Mxx

Spyder said...

A neihbour , well, in the next road, butchered a huge pine that was protected so he could get it cut down. You wouldn't believe the difference it made to the wild life at night with no tall roosting tree. I love your rocking horse chair! trust you to have one! Lovely flowers in your garden, mines looking bad at the moment, it was really lovely, but with me not doing much gardening for the last six years, it looks bad! But I'm getting back into it now and things will change back to how it was...hopefully! Love your house, it's very simpular to the one my daughter lived in in Monroe, really pretty! and with a lovely place to sit out.

((Lyn)) happy T day!

Spyder said...

I know my spelling's bad... 'neighbour!' my brain forgot the G....

Darla said...

What a great rocker for your front porch. It is often hard for me to get good photographs too but I actually didn't mind the background "noise" in yours, just shows the neighborhood.

Darla

Darla said...

What a great rocker for your front porch. It is often hard for me to get good photographs too but I actually didn't mind the background "noise" in yours, just shows the neighborhood.

Darla

Darla said...

What a great rocker for your front porch. It is often hard for me to get good photographs too but I actually didn't mind the background "noise" in yours, just shows the neighborhood.

Darla

Craftymoose Crafts said...

The weather this summer has been a bit unusual, and you have probably read me saying that hardly any flowers have bloomed. Well, they all are now, including the roses!

The porch rocker is lovely--am I right in assuming it is the largest one in your collection?

Dawn said...

Fab pics of your garden Elizabeth, its looking beautiful and very lush.
Huge hugs x x x x

Halle said...

What a lovely surprise in your garden. I'm wondering what the purple-ish glass object is in the lower left of the first two photos. It's very pretty!
Happy Tuesday!

Tracey Holdyk said...

Its been lovely reading your blog and visiting the other ladies. This is my first time, thanks to Dawn for letting me know about it. Happy T for Tuesday to you.

dawn said...

Happy Tuesday, I've just posted and linked up correctly thanks to your help!! Hope it's a good day for you!
Have to run errands and will blog hop when I get back.
LOVE TUESDAYS!!!

Divers and Sundry said...

i love the way your porch is furnished. the rocking horse has a nice home there :) the flowers are still looking good. sweet!

Eliza said...

What a beautiful house and garden and that front porch is just perfect. Thanks for sharing your Tuesday, sorry I am not joining in maybe another time.

Hugs Eliza & Yoda

Krisha said...

Love the pics of the roses, what a wonderful surprise. Haven't made sun tea in years, it used to be our favorite for ice tea in the summer. I quit drinking anything with caffeine except for coffee, so iced tea and diet Pepsi fell by the wayside, except for special occasions, or dinning out (then it is usually a glass of wine)
Happy Tuesday
I do love the rocker on your porch, in fact I love your porch!!

Rita said...

You have such a pretty porch surrounded by all the greenery and flowers! Lovely! :)

Anonymous said...

Nice to see that rose still in bloom. Leaning toward the sun. I am mostly shade, shade, and more shade, not much leaning going on but all my plants get along without too much pampering. Sweet rocking horses on that porch. xox

Cazzy said...

I'm here! Sorry for not visiting back last week, and I will catch up with comments and get round everyone though it might take until the weekend (or Monday) when my last visitor has been returned home, and I have had a stall, and done the challenge card for next week too, and the challenge post!

Cazzy x

Cazzy said...

Forgot to say, our garden has gone all tall this year too, and I love the rocker!